What is the Personal Statement?
The personal statement is an essay that describes your interest in a particular concentration offered within the M.A. in Educational Transformation (MAET) program.
For Learning and Teaching concentration applicants, the essay should address your personal philosophy of education.
For Advocacy and Policy concentration applicants, the essay should detail their intellectual interests and proposed topic(s) of graduate study.
The maximum length is 500 words.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is March 15, 2017 for admission in Summer 2017.
When is the deadline for scholarship consideration?
The priority date for scholarship consideration is January 15, 2017 for admission in Summer 2017. Candidates will continue to be considered for available scholarship funding until the final March 15 deadline.
Is there an application fee?
A $90.00 non-refundable fee is payable by credit card at the time of application submission.
What is the GRE code?
Our GRE code is 5244.
What are the Praxis exams?
The Praxis exams are a collection of standardized tests frequently required as part of the process of obtaining a state license to teach. To apply to the Learning and Teaching concentration, you will need to take two parts of the Praxis exams: 1) The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test and 2) The Praxis Content Knowledge Exam for the subject area in which the applicant will be pursuing a teaching license (ESL/ELL or Secondary Science). For more details, consult the Praxis website, detailing the DC examination requirements.
Do I take the Praxis exams if I am applying to the Advocacy and Policy concentration?
No, applicants to the Advocacy and Policy concentration need to submit their GRE scores.
How many recommendations are required?
Three recommendations are required.
At least two of the letters should be from academic recommenders, who can speak to your academic strengths. The online application utilizes a secure online recommendation system which will:
- automatically email your recommendation providers with instructions for online submission of the recommendation
- allow applicants to track recommendations received or not received and follow up with recommenders who still need to submit their appraisals;
- expedite the processing of the recommendations, which will be included in the online application once submitted.
What if my reference can’t access the online recommendation?
In the event your reference cannot access the online recommendation, please contact the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Admissions staff for instructions.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Is there a language proficiency requirement for admission?
All applicants are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the admission requirement of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. Proficiency can be demonstrated by:
- the receipt of a bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from a university where English is the language of instruction for the entire institution.
- submission of an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report with a minimum score of approximately 600 (paper-based test) or approximately 100 (internet test). (Minimum score of 22 on each individual section.)
- submission of an official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic Module score report with a minimum score of 7.0.
The TOEFL and IELTS must be received directly from the appropriate testing organization. Photocopied/faxed documents will not fulfill this requirement.
International students who received a bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education where the primary language was English will be considered for an exemption from this requirement.
What is the minimum IELTS score?
The minimum IELTS score is 7.0.
What is the IELTS code?
IELTS doesn’t use a code. Reports are sent directly to Georgetown University, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. For more information, see www.ielts.org.
What is the minimum TOEFL score?
The minimum TOEFL score is 100.
What is the TOEFL code?
The TOEFL code for Georgetown University – Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is 5244.