Financial Aid & Expenses

Financing Your Education

Graduate students in MAET may be eligible for scholarships awarded through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, need-based federal student financial aid, and other financing assistance coordinated through the Office of Student Financial Services. In addition, MAET students may apply for and receive funds through privately-sponsored grants and scholarships. To view a breakdown of tuition and expenses for students, please visit the Office of Student Financial Services.


All applicants to MAET are considered for merit-based scholarships funded by donations from alumni and outside supporters. We aim to award merit-based aid to 30-40% of the entering class, distributed on the basis of exceptional ability and talent based on information presented during the admissions process – no additional application necessary. A limited number of admitted applicants who do not receive a scholarship may be placed on a waitlist for merit-based aid.

Federal Need-Based Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Services has information about need-based financial aid on their website, including important information about eligibility and deadlines for federal student aid, as well as an example loan package offering (new window). Applicants to MAET should plan to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Other Funding Sources

Students may wish to consider applying for outside funding from federal and private organizations in order to supplement merit- and need-based aid. The Office of External Fellowships in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences can provide guidance on this front, with specific information regarding grantwriting, current funding opportunities (new window), and programs requiring institutional endorsement (new window). Additionally, the Graduate School offers a competitive Conference Travel Grant (new window) program twice annually to support graduate students presenting a paper or poster at domestic or international conferences.

Teachers & Public Service

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Program offers grants of up to $4,000 for students who wish to teach in a high-need field in private or public schools serving predominantly low income communities. These grants require a minimum number of years of service in order to qualify.

The ACS-Hach Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Scholarship (new window) is awarded to recent graduates and graduate students with limited work experience and an interest in becoming secondary chemistry teachers. Recipients must be pursuing a masters degree in education or becoming certified as a chemistry/science teacher. Scholarship recipients can receive up to $6,000 for full-time study or up to $3,000 for part-time study. Recipients who meet the award criteria are eligible to renew the award annually up to three years, and the scholarship can be applied to tuition, books, room and board, and other education-related expenses. Interested applicants must submit an online application.

If you have completed national service in approved AmeriCorps programs, such as AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps NCCC, or AmeriCorps State and National, you are eligible to receive an award to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions. For more details, visit the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award website.

Applicants who have been Maryland residents for at least one year are eligible to apply for scholarships and applicants who live within 200 miles of Baltimore City are eligible to apply for interest-free loans. See Central Scholarship’s eligibility page for more details.

Under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance due on their eligible federal student loans after they have made 120 payments under certain repayment plans while employed full-time by certain public service employers, including public PK-12 schools and nonprofits. Visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness page of the Federal Student Aid website (new window) for more information.


Students who are eligible to receive educational benefits through the Veterans Administration may obtain information and assistance from the Georgetown Veterans Office. In addition, students who are veterans will want to explore Troops to Teachers, an program which offers financial assistance to veterans who are in the process of obtaining a teaching license. Veterans or active duty personnel need to register with Troops to Teachers prior to enrollment in an accredited program.


Part-time employment, both on- and off-campus, is available as an alternative or supplement to financial aid packages. To assist students in locating such employment, the Student Employment Office has created Hoyaworks, an online clearinghouse for part-time and temporary job listings both on-campus and through local businesses and organizations. Students in these positions typically make about $15 an hour.

International Students

The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences offers a limited number of awards to international students in various departments based on academic qualifications. To learn more, please visit International Student and Scholar Services.